Plumerai


Answered by Elizabeth Ezell (Vocals), Martin Newman (Guitar), and James Newman (Bass)

How did Plumerai come to be?


Elizabeth Ezell: James and Martin were already Plumerai but needed a singer and drummer. I met Martin and James off a Craigslist add and we toured about three weeks later.

James Newman: After the demise of previous bands Martin & I continued working out songs until the right combination of people were found.

If you didn’t mention above, how did the members all meet?

Elizabeth Ezell: We met Todd a few months later...I think also through Craigslist...?

Martin Newman: Besides James and myself who are related…Craigslist. You can find anything you want on that site.

How, if it did at all, did being in Boston influence your music?

Elizabeth Ezell: I’m originally from California and the music scene, at least where I grew up, lacked diversity. There weren’t a lot of venues for bands to play and the venues that were there would book a lot of the same stuff over and over. Boston has so many incredible talents...you can go to the symphony and see Fantomas in the same night.

Martin Newman: It actually keeps me from working as much as I would like because of the hassles involved with having band rehearsals or being able to play through amplification in my apartment. But I don't think it's really influenced what I write at all. Maybe the people I’ve met but not Boston as far as geography is concerned.

What bands influenced Plumerai, and what drew you to the type of music you play?

Martin Newman: A combination of Nick Cave, Gogol Bordello and the Cure for me personally. And when writing it's just a combination of things I like about music I’ve heard...but I try to not outright steal anything, hopefully I’ve succeeded with that.

James Newman: Instrumentally some direct influences could be Cranes, Nick Cave & the Badseeds, the Cure, Hooverphonic, Lush, Siouxsie & the Banshees, and Gogol Bordello. I like songs that affect the way I feel.

What are your current favorite bands?

Elizabeth Ezell: Led Zeppelin, Faith No More, Minor Threat.

Martin Newman: Gogol Bordello, Nick Cave, Hefner, DeVotchKa, the Cure...and I’d like to point out to someone that there aren't any "chick" singers involved.

James Newman: The bands listed above plus Tindersticks, Air, Hefner, Cardigans, Sugarcubes, Queen Adreena, and Slayer.

What were the early days of Plumerai like?

Elizabeth Ezell: A lot of writing new songs and playing shows.

Martin Newman: Hectic. We formed and did some stuff. Then we lined up a tour, met Elizabeth, and went on tour like, 3 weeks after her audition. Then we got off that tour and had to find a new drummer because our bassist quit and our drummer moved to bass. So we had a big show come up and had to prepare for that, and then two weeks later do another tour, and when we finally got back from that tour we recorded this EP, and have been working on getting that out and securing a label to release it.

James Newman: It was a busy time: writing, rehearsing, recording, auditioning.

What drew you all into playing music? Why start a band?

Elizabeth Ezell: I’ve been singing my whole life but never really did anything with it. I know a lot of musicians in Boston. I started singing with the guitarist of Stretch and I got the confidence to audition and joined Plumerai.

Martin Newman: I just always have since high school. There's never a point where I don't play or involve myself with music one way or the other. As far as being in a band....it gives me the drive to do the music and gives what I do a direction to go in...or else I may put something down and not deal with it for months later, like what happened with my side projects and film projects. Also, having other people involved, while it can be troublesome, sort of gives the songs that I write a freshness that wouldn't have come about if it was just 100% me.

James Newman: Air guitar can only get you so far. Eventually you'll want to do it for real. Band? I can't sing.

What’s the Boston music scene like?

Martin Newman: None of us are from Boston and Plumerai sort of exists outside of the Boston music scene for the most part. But there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of bands here, and only a handful of venues worth playing. Sometimes I think it sucks here when only 20 people show up for a show...but then I remember what it's like to play in other cities where only 2 people show up to any given venue.

James Newman: Pretty healthy. A lot of bands for a small city, and fortunately a decent number of venues. You can always find live music here; even in subway stations. I’m not a fan of a lot of it, but there are a few gems. Plus there's so many bands that I still haven't gotten around to checking out.

What was recording "Res Cogitans" like?

Elizabeth Ezell: It was very quick but I’m really proud of the end results and I feel like having completed it Plumerai is stronger

Martin Newman: It was a long tiring process during the initial tracking. Started at midnight and finished at 5am. But we recorded all the songs live in about 2 or 3 takes each...so overdubbing was pretty easy. Mixing is another story though. I try to stay out of that process as much as I can.

James Newman: Tiring. Ryan at Get Nice let us use his rehearsal facility after business hours. So we brought all of our own recording gear, amps, and instruments, but we had to wait for all the clients to leave before we could set up, soundcheck, and start recording. I didn't get home until after 5am. It was a very long day. The session itself went rather smoothly. We just did two takes of each song and overdubbed parts later at my place. Then we spent a few weeks mixing.

If so, how’s the new recording looking? When might we expect it to be released?

Elizabeth Ezell: Uhhh...

Martin Newman: We actually just re-recorded a song "Fixed" and another new one "Iris" last weekend. And we're in the process of writing and finishing up writing about 6 or 8 more songs for a full length. I'm hoping we'll be done recording by fall, and with any luck we'll find a label to release it shortly thereafter.

James Newman: Maybe January. Depends whether we find a label to release it or do it ourselves.

Is "Res Cogitans" your first record? If not, what have you released before?

Elizabeth Ezell: My first one.

Martin Newman: Technically no. But it is the first record for this incarnation of Plumerai and if you take into consideration the previous versions of Plumerai were never more than the error portion of Trial & Error then, yes it is our first record. It's definitely the first record that sounds like Plumerai should.

What were the very early days of Plumerai like? Lots of touring/shows or locking yourselves in the practice room?

Elizabeth Ezell: We definitely practiced a lot but we just dove in head first trying to get new material and play shows.

Martin Newman: Locking ourselves in a practice room and then going on tour.

How are songs written for Plumerai? Is it a solo work or more group composure?

Elizabeth Ezell: Basically someone will come up with the main idea for how a song will sound, and then everyone will go off and put their ideas over it. Then we get together again and try to make four parts into one song.

James Newman: Usually Martin comes up with a guitar or keyboard part, and then everyone works it out.

Martin Newman: It usually starts with a part I’ve written and introduced to everyone else and they come up with their parts...and then we re-arrange the lengths or add new parts depending on Elizabeth's vocals. In the end it's a group effort. Sometimes I get a bit impatient and start writing a bass line or something, but I try not to if I can help it. In previous groups I wrote a lot of the different parts to a song because I couldn't trust the other members coming up with anything satisfactory or interesting...however with this Plumerai I’m perfectly fine with just handing over the bare bones of a song and having the others do what they want. It's the way a band should work....the only time it becomes an issue is when there's somebody in the group that shouldn't be.

What’s more important for you in a song? The lyrics or the instrumentals?

Elizabeth Ezell: In general, it depends. Some people are amazing story tellers, like Thom Yorke of Radiohead or James Taylor, I find myself listening to how beautiful the music is, but being distracted by the story or message. But, it has to sound pleasing too. Personally though, when I am writing lyrics, they are extremely dependent on the music because the music evokes certain emotions that influence what I am going to write about. Sometimes, certain tones in a song will make me think of a word and I try to write a story or idea around that one word.

Martin Newman: For me it's the music including the vocal melodies...but not necessarily the actual lyrics. When those are amazing, that's more like icing on cake. Not that lyrics aren't important...but honestly how many pop or rock groups have amazing lyrics? Not many...so it's all that much better when a song does have great lyrics. It's all subjective anyways....I’m sure Beyonce lyrics are meaningful to many 13 year olds and 30 year olds with the mental capacity of a 13 year old.

James Newman: I have no idea what the lyrics are and I still like the songs, so I would say the instrumentals.

What hopes or goals do you have for Plumerai?

Elizabeth Ezell: I just want to keep doing what we have been because I am having so much fun and I hope that we can keep making music we are proud of.

Martin Newman: If we can do what we're doing on a larger scale and actually earn a living from it, that would be pretty sweet.

James Newman: To make a living would be great, but I’ll settle for mass appreciation/recognition. Maybe groupies.

Where do you see Plumerai in say 5 years?

Martin Newman: In a bigger apartment hopefully.

James Newman: Riding in a bigger van, playing bigger shows with a professionally done album. Perhaps sharing the stage with some of my favorite bands (if they're still in business).

What has been your best/worst/favorite/funniest experience with Plumerai?

Elizabeth Ezell: Drinking on the beach in South Carolina. Tequila rose and Jagermeister Walking like an hour to get to that kick ass record shop in DC. That time we played in a clothing store...south of the border was pretty good too, or any time Brian is around.

Martin Newman: Best: The time we were rehearsing for a show it was right before Todd joined...and we were working on Avernal before it was Avernal, and Elizabeth was like...yeah we need another part to the song, and on the spot everything just came together for the chorus to that song which is probably one of my favorite bits on the EP. Worst: That time we played in DC at Staccatto's and there were literally only 2 people there...two people that came to see us, which was cool but still. Afterwards was fun though so I guess it worked out for the best that we didn't have to stick around til the end of the night. Favorite: That tour in November. Funniest: That time a certain band member stuck maraca's down the back of their pants and shook their ass into the mic during the end of a song.

James Newman: Best: Touring. None in particular. I just like traveling, getting to play, and hanging out. Worst: Being on stage with poor monitors and playing to a nearly empty room. Both suck. Favorite: The Raleigh show. Everything clicked on stage and although the turnout was meager, the people there seemed impressed. Funniest: Meeting up with Brian & Pete on tour. Funny guys.

What do you consider "success" in music?

Elizabeth Ezell: Not having a VHI band reunion in like 30 years.

Martin Newman: Being able to do what you want musically and enjoy what you're doing. That however is different than success in the music industry.

James Newman: Being able to write/play songs without compromise and still be widely appreciated.

Do you see Plumerai achieving success?

Elizabeth Ezell: Yeah, we are going to be rock stars.

Martin Newman: If we can get the publicity and backing that we need...then yes.

James Newman: Yes.

Has it all been worth it up until now?

Elizabeth Ezel: It beats doing nothing.

Martin Newman: Definitely. If you don't get caught up in dollar amounts.

James Newman: Yes. The first two and a half years was a bit frustrating, although we had some great times. Since Elizabeth & Todd have joined I’ve been really pleased with the way things have turned out as a band. I feel like we finally have our own sound, which is an achievement.


For more information go to the Plumerai website.

(Published at ComfortComes.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home